Study sharing: Acting Happy / 閱讀分享: 演出來的快樂

Study sharing: Acting Happy / 閱讀分享: 演出來的快樂




After reading Dr. Madan Kataria’s article, *“Laughter Yoga: The Science Behind Acting Happy,”* my very first reaction was: "Wow, what I’ve been doing all this time actually has a scientific basis."

I practice online Laughter Yoga, which is quite different from the in-person sessions where people stand in a circle, clapping and shouting "ho ho ha ha." Instead, when the screen turns on, you see a dozen grid boxes with people from different places all laughing into their cameras. At first, it felt completely absurd. Forcing yourself to laugh when nothing is funny feels like fooling yourself, doesn't it? But after reading this article, I began to realize that this "absurdity" is exactly where the magic happens.

Dr. Kataria repeatedly highlights a core concept: **Motion Creates Emotion**. This idea comes from the psychologist William James, who believed that physical expressions actually come before our emotions. We usually think we laugh because we are happy, but James argued that because we laugh, our brain interprets it as happiness. In other words, the body is a clever liar—and if it lies long enough, even the brain starts to believe it.

My experience with online Laughter Yoga proves this perfectly. Once, I was in a terrible mood, completely overwhelmed by work stress. Since I had already committed to leading a laughter session, I forced myself to turn on the camera. The instructor led us through exercises like "clapping laughter," "lion laughter," and "silent laughter." At first, I was just "acting." My muscles were moving and sounds were coming out, but I didn't feel a single drop of joy inside. However, about five minutes in, I found myself genuinely laughing—not acting anymore, but laughing for real because I couldn't help it. It felt strange and even a bit unsettling at the moment: I was clearly unhappy, yet my body took it upon itself to be happy anyway.

The article provided the perfect explanation: the **Facial Feedback Hypothesis**. Studies show that when you hold a chopstick sideways between your teeth, forcing your facial muscles into a smile, your brain releases happy chemicals. I wasn't holding a chopstick, but I was laughing—and even though it started out fake, those muscle signals were already sent to my brain.

The text also mentions **Cognitive Dissonance Theory**. When there is a conflict between your behavior (laughing out loud) and your mood (feeling unhappy), your brain feels uncomfortable. To reduce this inner conflict, the brain actively lifts your mood to match your actions. Simply put, since the body is already laughing, the brain has no choice but to play along to avoid losing its mind. This "outside-in" shift matches my online Laughter Yoga experience perfectly.

I especially love the quote from Dr. Kataria’s father mentioned in the article: *“If you’re sad, don’t sit idle. Keep doing physical work or go for a walk; you’ll feel better.”* It sounds like old-fashioned advice, but when you look at it through the lens of **Behavioral Activation**, it becomes incredibly powerful. Behavioral Activation is a psychological technique used to fight depression, and its core idea is simple: even when you don't feel like moving, force yourself to engage in positive activities. Action changes your mood; you don't wait until you feel better to start moving.

To put it plainly, my online Laughter Yoga is a form of behavioral activation. I don't need to wait until I "feel like laughing." As long as I "do the action of laughing," my mood eventually catches up. This isn't running away or pretending; it's a conscious way of regulating myself.

However, I must admit that this "acting happy" method isn't a cure-all. The article talks about **Neuroplasticity**, explaining that repeating a behavior can strengthen the brain's positive pathways. I believe this, but the process takes time; you can't just laugh a few times and expect depression to be pulled out by its roots. Sometimes, right after an online laughter session, I turn off my screen and my real-life problems are still right there—the stress hasn't vanished. Laughter doesn't make the problems smaller, but it relaxes my body first, which gives my mind the space it needs to think of a solution. To me, that is the most practical part of Laughter Yoga. It’s not magic; it’s just a "start button."

The **Self-Fulfilling Prophecy** mentioned in the text also made me reflect. If you keep telling yourself "I am so unhappy," your behavior will align with that belief, and you will end up feeling worse. On the flip side, if you take the first step by acting happy, your body will start looking for evidence to prove that you are happy. It sounds a bit abstract, but I’ve seen many examples of this in our online Laughter Yoga group. Some members started out just laughing politely to be nice. A few weeks later, their smiles became natural, and they even started sharing funny stories from their daily lives. They didn't start laughing because their lives got better; their lives felt less awful because they started laughing.

Overall, the biggest takeaway for me from this article is that emotions don't just drop from the sky. They are the result of an ongoing interaction between our body, our behavior, and our brain. We often assume we need to "feel it first" before we can "take action," but Dr. Kataria shows us that the reverse works just as well—take action first, and the feeling will follow.

I won't go as far as to say Laughter Yoga completely changed my life, but it certainly changed how I view "happiness." I used to think happiness was a "state of being" that you just had to be lucky enough to find. Now, I see it as a "practice"—just like stretching or running. If you do a little bit every day, your body will remember it, and your mood will slowly follow its lead.

Finally, I want to keep a record of those simple affirmations mentioned at the end of the article:

* “Very good, very good, yay!”

* “I am happy, very happy, always happy.”

* “I am healthy, very healthy, always healthy.”

* “I am joyful, very joyful, always joyful.”

To be completely honest, saying these sentences out loud feels a bit silly. But so what if it's silly? Your body will take it seriously anyway. And when the body believes it, the heart will slowly follow. That is probably the most down-to-earth truth of Laughter Yoga: just laugh first, and your body will help you figure out the reason later.


演出來的快樂

讀完 Dr. Madan Kataria 這篇《Laughter Yoga: The Science Behind Acting Happy》(大笑瑜伽:假裝快樂的科學),我第一個反應是:原來我一直在做的事,真的有科學根據。

我參加的是線上大笑瑜伽,不是實體那種一群人圍圈拍手喊「吼吼哈嘿」的場面。螢幕打開,十幾個格仔,來自不同地方的人,對著鏡頭一起笑。起初覺得荒謬——明明沒有好笑的事,卻要強迫自己笑出來,這不是自欺欺人嗎?但讀完這篇文章,我開始明白,這種「荒謬」正是它的精髓。

Dr. Kataria 反覆強調一個核心概念:Motion Creates Emotion(動作創造情緒)。這個說法出自心理學家 William James(威廉.詹姆士),他認為身體的表現其實是先於情緒的。你以為是因為開心才笑,但 James 會說,是因為你笑了,大腦才解讀為開心。換句話說,身體是個狡猾的騙子,騙著騙著,連大腦都信了。

我在線上大笑瑜伽的體驗,正好印證了這一點。有一回我心情極差,工作上的事情壓得我透不過氣,但約好了要帶笑,只好硬著頭皮開鏡頭。導師帶領我們做「拍手笑」、「獅子笑」、「無聲笑」,我起初只是在「演」,肌肉在動,聲音在出,但心裡沒有一絲快樂。可是大概過了五分鐘,我發現自己真的笑出來了——不是演的那種,是忍不住的、真實的笑。當下我覺得很奇怪,甚至有點不安:我明明不快樂,身體卻擅自快樂起來。

這篇文章給了我一個解釋:那是 Facial Feedback Hypothesis(面部反饋假說)。當你把筷子橫咬在齒間,強迫面部肌肉形成微笑的形狀,大腦就會釋放快樂的化學物質。我沒有咬筷子,但我有在笑——即使那是假的,肌肉的訊號已經送到大腦去了。

書中還提到 Cognitive Dissonance Theory(認知失調理論)。當你的行為(大笑)和你的情緒(不快樂)出現矛盾時,大腦會覺得不舒服,為了減少這種矛盾,它會主動把情緒調高,讓兩者一致。簡單來說,身體已經在笑了,大腦只好配合演出,免得自己精神分裂。這種「由外而內」的改變,跟我參加線上大笑瑜伽的經驗完全吻合。

我特別喜歡文中引用 Dr. Kataria 父親說的那句話:”If you’re sad, don’t sit idle. Keep doing physical work or go for a walk; you’ll feel better.”(如果你傷心,不要閒坐著。去做體力活或去散步,你會好過一點。)這句話看似老生常談,但放在 Behavioral Activation(行為激活治療)的框架裡,就變得很有力量。行為激活治療是心理學上用於對抗抑鬱的方法,核心就是:即使你不想動,也要強迫自己去做一些正向的活動。因為行動會反過來影響情緒,而不是等情緒好起來才行動。

我的線上大笑瑜伽,說穿了就是一種行為激活。我不需要等「想笑」才笑,我只要「做了笑」這個動作,情緒就會慢慢跟上。這不是逃避,也不是偽裝,而是一種有意識的自我調節。

但我也必須說,這種「假裝快樂」的方法,並不是萬能的。文章裡提到 Neuroplasticity(神經可塑性),說重複的行為可以強化大腦的正向迴路。這我相信,但過程需要時間,不是笑幾次就能把抑鬱連根拔起。我有時在線上大笑完,關掉螢幕,現實的問題依然存在,壓力沒有消失。大笑沒有讓問題變小,但它讓我的身體先鬆開了,然後我的腦袋才有空間去想解決方法。這是我覺得大笑瑜伽最實用的地方——它不是魔術,它只是一個「啟動鍵」。

另外,文中提到的 Self-Fulfilling Prophecy(自我實現預言)也讓我反思。如果你不斷告訴自己「我很不快樂」,你的行為就會配合這個信念,結果你真的愈來愈不快樂。反過來,如果你先做出快樂的行為,身體就會幫你找證據證明你是快樂的。這聽起來很玄,但我在線上大笑瑜伽的群組裡見過不少例子。有些成員最初只是禮貌地跟著笑,幾週後,他們的笑容變得自然,甚至會主動分享生活裡的趣事。他們不是因為生活變好了才笑,而是因為笑了,才覺得生活沒那麼糟。

總括來說,這篇文章對我最大的啟發是:情緒不是從天上掉下來的,它是身體、行為和大腦三者互動的結果。我們常常以為要「先有感覺」才能「採取行動」,但 Dr. Kataria 告訴我們,反過來也行——先行動,感覺會跟上來。

我不會說大笑瑜伽改變了我的人生,但它確實改變了我對「快樂」的看法。以前我總覺得快樂是一種「狀態」,可遇不可求。現在我把它看作一種「練習」,像拉筋、像跑步,每天做一點,身體會記住,情緒也會慢慢被帶動。

最後,我想記下文中那幾句簡單的 affirmations(正面肯定句):
“Very good, very good, yay!”
“I am happy, very happy, always happy.”
“I am healthy, very healthy, always healthy.”
“I am joyful, very joyful, always joyful.”

這些句子唸出來的時候,老實說,有點蠢。但蠢又如何?反正身體會當真。而當身體當真了,心也會慢慢跟隨。這大概就是大笑瑜伽最樸實的道理——先笑再說,身體會幫你找理由。


大家喜歡這篇 "大笑瑜珈” 的文章嗎? 如果喜歡的話,希望你能夠點讚、分享給有需要的朋友。
Do you like this article about Laughter Yoga? If you do, I hope you can give it a like and share it with friends in need.

**Dr. Kataria 的線上 "大笑瑜珈” 是不收取任何費用的,而且是每周定期進行。
Dr. Kataria's online Laughter Yoga sessions are completely free of charge and take place regularly every week.

大笑瑜珈寫作課-海綿篇 / LY study sharing

大笑瑜伽寫作課-樂圖篇 / Ly comic

文. 東加豆 / tonkabean
2026年 6月

留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

Challenge Game! Laughter Yoga Very Fun! 2026 In Different Mother Tongues.

笑的五種面貌

26. Signature laughter exercise (標誌性笑聲練習)