閱讀分享: 從獅子式到獅子笑 / Study Sharing: From Lion Pose to Lion Laughter

閱讀分享: 從獅子式到獅子笑

Dr. Kataria 這篇〈Lion Pose, Lion Laughter, and the Nervous System〉,我看完之後第一個反應是:原來我每次做大笑瑜珈時伸舌頭那個動作,背後有這麼多學問。

我自己參加的是線上大笑瑜珈,每星期對著電腦螢幕跟著導師做。其中有一個環節叫「獅子笑」(Lion Laughter),導師會叫我們把眼睛睜大,舌頭盡量伸出來,然後用力笑出聲。老實說,第一次做的時候我覺得自己很滑稽,像個傻瓜一樣。但做了幾次之後,我發現每次做完這個動作,整個人都會有一種奇怪的輕鬆感,尤其是臉部和頸部,好像放下了什麼重擔。

讀了這篇文章之後,我才知道這個動作在傳統瑜珈裡叫獅子式(Simhasana,Simhasana),已經有很悠久的歷史。Dr. Kataria 指出,古人練習這個姿勢幾百年,就是因為它能釋放臉部、喉嚨和腦袋的緊張。我這才明白,原來我每次對著鏡頭伸舌頭的時候,其實是在做一件有根有據的事情,不是胡亂搞怪。

文章最讓我感興趣的部分,是他從神經科學的角度解釋為什麼獅子笑有效。他說舌頭是人體神經最密集的結構之一,當我們把舌頭伸出來,會啟動好幾條腦神經(cranial nerves)。老實說,那些神經的名字我記不太清楚,什麼 Hypoglossal Nerve(舌下神經)、Trigeminal Nerve(三叉神經)、Facial Nerve(面神經),讀起來像在背教科書。但 Dr. Kataria 說得明白——這些神經控制我們的舌頭活動、面部感覺、表情、吞嚥,甚至心跳和情緒調節。換句話說,伸一伸舌頭,其實是在跟我們的大腦「打招呼」。

我在線上做獅子笑的時候,導師會叫我們維持舌頭伸出來幾秒,然後用力呼氣笑出「哈——哈——哈——」。文章解釋說,這種用力的呼氣和腹式呼吸(diaphragmatic breathing)會刺激迷走神經(Vagus Nerve,Vagus Nerve),而迷走神經又被稱為身體的「放鬆神經」。我自己觀察到的是,每次做完獅子笑之後,心跳會慢下來一些,整個人沒有那麼繃緊。我不知道是不是真的因為迷走神經被刺激了,但那種放鬆的感覺是真實的。

文章另一個重點是,獅子笑比傳統的獅子式多了一些元素:大笑的聲音、腹式呼吸、還有玩樂的心態(playfulness)。Dr. Kataria 特別提到孩子每天笑三百到四百次,因為他們天生就有玩樂心態。成年人呢?我們太嚴肅了,尤其是在疫情之後,大家都習慣了對著螢幕工作、開會、甚至社交,臉部肌肉愈來愈僵硬。線上大笑瑜珈的好處是,你可以放心地做出誇張的表情,反正沒有人會近距離盯著你看。我的經驗是,對著電腦伸舌頭、張大嘴巴笑,比對著真人做容易得多,因為少了一份尷尬。

我特別喜歡文章裡一句話:「Motion creates emotion.」——動作創造情緒。這剛好呼應了大笑瑜珈的核心信念:我們不是等開心才笑,而是用笑來創造開心。我在線上練習時經常想起這句話。有時候當天心情平平,甚至有點低落,但做完獅子笑和呼吸練習之後,情緒確實會改善。不是那種狂喜,而是一種平穩的、開闊的感覺。

當然,這篇文章是寫給囚犯計劃的延伸閱讀材料之一,所以 Dr. Kataria 的對象比較嚴肅。但作為一個普通城市人,我覺得獅子笑對任何人都有用。你不需要是瑜珈高手,也不需要去監獄做義工,只要有一個空間、一個螢幕、一個願意放下身段的自己,就可以試試。

讀完這篇文章,我對自己每星期對著電腦伸舌頭大笑這件事,多了一份敬意。原來那些看似幼稚的動作,背後有神經科學撐腰,有幾千年的瑜珈傳統做基礎。我不是什麼專業人士,但作為一個實踐者,我很高興知道自己做的不是無聊事。

笑聲可能無法改變世界,但至少可以改變一下自己的狀態。伸一伸舌頭,拉一拉神經,放鬆一下臉,世界看起來就不一樣了。


Study Sharing: 
From Lion Pose to Lion Laughter

Reading Share: Stick Out Your Tongue, Stretch Your Nerves – Reading Dr. Kataria on Lion Pose and Laughter

After reading Dr. Kataria's article, "Lion Pose, Lion Laughter, and the Nervous System," my very first reaction was: wow, it turns out that the simple act of sticking out my tongue during Laughter Yoga actually involves so much science.


I participate in online Laughter Yoga, joining through my computer screen every week to follow the teacher. There is a specific part called "Lion Laughter." The teacher asks us to open our eyes wide, stick our tongues out as far as possible, and then laugh out loud forcefully. To be honest, the first time I did it, I felt incredibly ridiculous, just like a fool. But after doing it a few times, I noticed that every time I finished this movement, my whole body felt a strange sense of relief. Especially my face and neck, it felt as if a heavy burden had been lifted.


Only after reading this article did I learn that this movement is called Lion Pose (Simhasana) in traditional yoga and has a very long history. Dr. Kataria points out that ancients practiced this posture for hundreds of years simply because it releases tension in the face, throat, and head. I finally understood that every time I stick out my tongue at the camera, I am actually doing something with a real background, not just acting silly for no reason.


The part of the article that interests me the most is his explanation of why Lion Laughter works from a neuroscience perspective. He says the tongue is one of the most nerve-dense structures in the human body. When we stick our tongue out, it activates several cranial nerves. Honestly, I cannot remember all those nerve names very well—things like the Hypoglossal Nerve, Trigeminal Nerve, and Facial Nerve read like a textbook. But Dr. Kataria explains it clearly: these nerves control our tongue movement, facial sensations, expressions, swallowing, and even heart rate and emotional regulation. In other words, sticking out your tongue is like saying hello to your brain.


When I do Lion Laughter online, the teacher asks us to hold our tongue out for a few seconds and then forcefully exhale while laughing "ha—ha—ha—." The article explains that this kind of forceful exhalation and diaphragmatic breathing stimulates the Vagus Nerve, which is often called the body's "relaxation nerve." My own observation is that after every Lion Laughter exercise, my heart rate slows down a bit, and my body feels less tense. I do not know if it is truly because the Vagus Nerve is stimulated, but that feeling of relaxation is completely real.


Another key point in the article is that Lion Laughter adds a few elements to the traditional Lion Pose: the sound of laughter, diaphragmatic breathing, and a sense of playfulness. Dr. Kataria specially mentions that children laugh three hundred to four hundred times a day because they naturally have a playful mindset. What about adults? We are far too serious, especially after the pandemic, as everyone got used to working, meeting, and even socializing in front of screens, making our facial muscles stiffer and stiffer. The benefit of online Laughter Yoga is that you can confidently make exaggerated expressions since no one is staring at you from up close. In my experience, sticking out your tongue and laughing with a wide-open mouth at a computer is much easier than doing it to a person face-to-face because there is less embarrassment.


I particularly like a quote from the article: "Motion creates emotion." This perfectly echoes the core belief of Laughter Yoga: we do not wait to feel happy before we laugh; instead, we use laughter to create happiness. I often think of this phrase during my online practice. Sometimes when my mood is just ordinary or even a bit low, my emotions genuinely improve after doing Lion Laughter and the breathing exercises. It is not an intense joy, but rather a stable, open feeling.


Of course, this article was written as extension reading material for a prison program, so Dr. Kataria's target audience is quite serious. However, as an ordinary city resident, I feel Lion Laughter is useful for anyone. You do not need to be a yoga expert, and you do not need to volunteer in a prison. As long as you have a space, a screen, and a self that is willing to let go of judgment, you can try it.


After reading this article, I have a newfound respect for my habit of sticking out my tongue and laughing at the computer every week. It turns out those seemingly childish movements are backed by neuroscience and built on thousands of years of yoga tradition. I am no professional, but as a practitioner, I am glad to know that what I am doing is not meaningless.

Laughter might not change the world, but at least it can change your own state of mind. Stick out your tongue, stretch your nerves, relax your face, and the world looks a little different.


大家喜歡這篇 "大笑瑜珈” 的文章嗎? 如果喜歡的話,希望你能夠點讚、分享給有需要的朋友。

Do you like this article about Laughter Yoga? If you do, I hope you can give it a like and share it with friends in need.


**Dr. Kataria 的線上 "大笑瑜珈” 是不收取任何費用的,而且是每周定期進行。

Dr. Kataria's online Laughter Yoga sessions are completely free of charge and take place regularly every week.


了解更多 >> https://www.laughteryoga.org/zoom-laughter-club/

大笑瑜珈寫作課-海綿篇 / LY study sharing

https://laughter-yoga-knowledge.blogspot.com/


大笑瑜伽寫作課-樂圖篇 / Ly comic

https://laugh-yoga-hk.blogspot.com/


文. 東加豆 / tonkabean

https://tonkabean.me/

2026年 6月

留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

Challenge Game! Laughter Yoga Very Fun! 2026 In Different Mother Tongues.

笑的五種面貌

26. Signature laughter exercise (標誌性笑聲練習)